Meatless Monday Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Three Ingredients: Sweet Potato 227041330 Kale 135308252 Coconut Milk 127697183 On this crazy journey to better health, I have met some interesting new friends in both ingredients and some new people with great stories of their nutrition successes. But...
On this crazy journey to better health, I have met some interesting new friends in both ingredients and some new people with great stories of their nutrition successes. But then, there are the tried and true friends who have also come out to show me great support and encouragement. One such friend the one and only Stacey is proud to share recipes and samples with me along with training inspirations. I will never be the athlete that she has become, but I have learned some great lessons from her and she continues to try new things in the kitchen. She laughs when I make changes to recipes, but usually she likes my final version.
Stacey shared a bowl of this soup last week, and I enjoyed the flavors, but the foundation needed a few changes for my tastes. This soup had great bones, but I have come to enjoy soups and salads as my main meal, so I usually will prepare these more like stews getting in as many vegetables as possible. This was the case with this soup. I have added more onions, garlic and kale to thicken this soup. I also bumped up the red pepper flakes in my version of the recipe as the heat in this soup is a bit unexpected. This has always been my preference with soups, I want more substance with my broth. I have made adjustments to the recipe below. Stacey suggested a smoky Paprika as garnish. I am good without this addition.
Kale and Sweet Potato Soup – base recipe originally from Food and Wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 large onions, diced
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped fine (or use dried ginger)
- 1 ½ - 2 teaspoons turmeric – I love the flavors of this seasoning. WARNING: this spice stains.
- ½ teaspoon crushed red peppers – I like some heat
- 1 – 1 ½ pound organic kale, rinsed, tough stems removed, and roughly chopped. I used 1 ½ pounds of kale
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and diced into 3/4-inch cubes. I used three medium sizes sweet potatoes for this soup
- 1 - 1 ½ quarts vegetable or chicken broth. I started with one quart of stock and added another cup to create this soup.
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk. I used lite coconut milk with great success.
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook down until tender and translucent, about five minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minutes.
2. Add the sweet potato chunks and stir.
3. Add the chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
4. Add the kale once the broth is simmering and submerge all of the leaves, helping them to cook down.
5. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have become tender.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Lastly, stir in coconut milk, and heat through.
8. Freezes well!
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes, Cook Time: 45 minutes, Serves: 6
Enjoy this soup with a big salad for your next Meatless Monday!